Wednesday 26 August 2015

Testing High End Foundations





I went to Debenhams when I was visiting family a couple of months ago and it dawned on me that I haven't really tried any high end foundations. After having a little look around the shop and pestering the sails assistants, I ended up with a nice little handful of samples to try out and I thought it would be nice to share my thoughts of them with you... y'know, just incase you're in the same boat! I told the ladies at the counter that I wanted something full coverage that would counteract redness, lets see how they did..



Let's start of with the middle bottle, which is not a foundation but a step to use before makeup to counteract redness. It's the Forever Light Creator CC Creme by YSL. The assistant told me that she found this worked so well for concealing rosacea. From this, I expected the product to take care of any redness without a problem but it really just did nothing for me. It has a lovely consistency but I found it did absolutely nothing. Bit of a disappointment really.
Next is probably my least favourite foundation of the three I tried. It's the Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation, which was described as 'buildable' (literally, it was said about five million times during the conversation), and natural. I have to disagree. It clinged to dry patches that I didn't even know I had, it was crazy! Even after exfoliating, it still looked awful. The coverage was alright, and the parts of my skin that didn't look weird did have a glow but I just really didn't get on with it.
It seems like I have nothing but hate for all the products but I promise I don't! Next is a foundation that really impressed me! I believe it's the Redness Solutions Makeup Broad Spectrum by Clinique. This was described as a medium-full coverage foundation that was pretty thick in consistency. I'd say that description was pretty accurate! This really helped to conceal any imperfections while gliding over the dry parts that the previous foundation clung to. I don't find this to be very thick at all but if you're used to runny, light foundations then it might take some getting used to. Due to the texture, this does feel quite wet. It takes a while to fully set in place, even after using a powder, but I quite liked the natural finish that it gave. It lasts a good 4 hours before getting overly oily or showing through any imperfections, which quite impressed me!




Lastly, I picked up the Mac Studio Fix Foundation, which I was colourmatched to NW 22/24. They were both a bit orange but NW 22 worked a lot better for me. This gives a good amount of coverage and lasts around 4 hours with a primer. The finish is a lot more matte than the Clinique foundation but it doesn't look flat. It does however, cling to dry patches and has a really weird chemical smell! It's like rubbing toilet cleaner on your face. I can get past it though, the foundation was quite nice. It has a thin texture and it surprisingly wasn't irritating at all.

I have to say that although I did like the MAC Studio Fix, I much prefer the Clinique Redness Solutions. Even though I didn't enjoy everything I tried, it was a nice experience anyway. I'm quite grateful for testers really, there's no point buying something without really knowing if you'll like it!

Sorry if I seem a bit scattery, I may or may not have had friends round for the past couple of days and am paying for it now!



No comments:

Post a Comment